Monday, October 18, 2010

Mingling with the Dead (France)

Catacombes de Paris

...the first definition is how I playfully define Adeism and the second is of an actual branch of atheism.

1. Adeism: "a system of beliefs induced with all sort of elixirs and prestidigitatory roller coasters."


2. Adeism: "is identical to the position of weak atheism, nontheism, or negative atheism. Adeists, unlike atheists, are unwilling to make the positive claim of belief that a God does not exist. The adeist lacks a belief, or is without a belief in God. This is not to be confused with agnosticism, which states that the existence of God cannot be known. It is rather the suspension of belief that is the crux of the adeist position."


Wow! Forer's effect. Whosoever wrote the above is either selling me snake oil or has read my journal. I can't make this stuff up, I am Ade, and the branch of atheism in which I share my name with, precisely describes my belief about God.


So what does all that have to do with the dead?


Well, I'll tell you I don't believe in resurrection, an afterlife, or better yet I am wise enough to say: I don't have any proof.  This is the main reason why I don't fear the dead nor do I fear death. So naturally when I am overseas, I spend time hanging out at molseums, burial grounds, columbariums, catholic churches, and tombs. The resting places of the dead are usually quiet, serene, and provides a place of solitude for the living as well. Travelling can be stressful on the mind and body so these places provide a space where I am able to temporarily escape the hassle of the living world. Additionally, I find graves stones to be some of the most fascinating artistic pieces of work.

Take for example, when I was in France, I spent about five hours at the famous Cimetiere du Père Lachaise. There I saw the grave sites of many famous actors, aritsts, poets, dancers, writers, teachers, lovers etc...  Some of whom I chatted to and thanked them for their contribution: a few words with Richard Wright here, a few with Balzac there and some words to my favorite european classical composer Chopin.


My trip to Père Lachaise has been one of the most educational outings I have ever taken to any place that rests the dead. First, I met a younger man than I, who is from Brazil and had been travelling throughout France by himself. He and I quickly befriended each other, walk together, and talked about art, photography, philosophy, music, and politics all in the context of the dead surrounding us. I talked extensively about Pierre Bourdieu and his influence on my writings in graduate school, also about how irate I was that I could not find his grave site. My friend taught me about Allan Kardec and his thoughts on spiritualism, life in Brazil, and we later discussed his trip so far.
Tomb of Abélard and Heloïse


Second, the map of the burial ground listed many famous people, most whom I no idea who they were, so when I returned the US, I was forced to read up on and seek out some of their works. Additionally, I saw the grave sites of Jim Morrison, Proust, the famous lovers Abélard and Heloïse, Oscar Wilde etc...

Anytime I find myself hanging at places of the dead it always allow me the mental space to recon template my death and how I want handled when I die. Here is the simple winning formula: cremation, throw me a party, play loud reggae music, and absolutely no tears from family or friends. Why? I made sure I lived a happy and adventurous life.


3 comments:

  1. will do... working on one as i type here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog Ade...this is the post I read with an open mind and found suprisingly good. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete