Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Lioness Among Lions (Zimbabwe)

by Chicago Shedell

Chicago Shedell is a native of Chicago, guest contributing writer for laughingtraveller, and associate of Rose Mountain Photography.


I am Chicago Shedell: lioness, socialite, world traveler, health field worker, mom, and all around fabulous-fashionista. In May 2010, I went alone on a business trip to Zimbabwe to open up a night club in downtown Harare. The plane ride was the longest of all my travels so far: exhausting, uncomfortable and 32 hours’ worth. For the majority of the trip I worked long days and nights in a number of high rises in downtown Harare; but the venture was successful so I decided there is no way that I could spend all this time in Africa without having a bit of fun. I am business savvy so as part of my contract, I made sure I negotiated a trip to the safari so I could see the lions.

I was extremely excited about seeing the lions because for my entire life I have always been aroused and fascinated by lions: collecting pictures, watching their mating as well as hunting habits on Animal Planet etc. I am yet to figure out why I am drawn to these regal animals but I assume it’s because of their pure passion for life and beastly mannerisms which somewhat parallels my own lifestyle.

Anyways, while on safari, the cost to enter the park/den was only $3 USD. As I approached I grew excited to see them and in a single chorus, as if they knew I was there, 40 lions welcomed me in a coordinated roar. This was the most chilling and arousing sound I have ever heard.

I was able to get close and pet them; their coats and fur are very soft and like house cats they enjoyed there bellies being rubbed. Being in the den, I felt no fear and a sense of euphoria the entire time. I did not want to leave and could have stayed with them all the entire day if possible.

Laying with the lions made me feel like royalty because I had often seen pictures of ancient queens and kings next to lions and other exotic cats.


The loud roars of the cats and watching them play with each other sent my body into a hormonal outburst and state of ecstasy…oh la la…and I think they sensed it and this is why I believe they got so close to me. I will do it all over again but the next time the ultimate experience will be to see them mate…

5 comments:

  1. To see all the photos from the Lions adventure in
    Zimbabwe, Africa click on the link to be directed to the facebook photo album. Enjoy
    ~Chicago Shedell~

    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=437122&id=887010296

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful we see them mating everywhere in Kenya, next you should come there. and realize your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete